If a death occurs at home

If someone passes away at home James Harper Funeral Directors are available 24 hours a day to assist you. Once a death has occurred you will need to inform your local doctor who should attend immediately in order to issue medical certificates so that you may register the death.

Once the doctor has attended you can call the us to come and collect your loved one, it is from then that we can take care of your loved one and start to make arrangements for the funeral.

You can call the registrar’s office directly to register the death with the registrar of Births and Deaths, an appointment can be arranged ideally with the registrar’s office that covers the district or borough that the death occurred in.

The death can be registered by a relative, person arranging the funeral or persons present at time of death but the person attending must be able to answer questions about the person who has died.

Once the death has been registered the registrar will issue you with a certificate for burial or cremation which you must give to your us.

These are some of the people or organisations to inform in the event of a death:

  • Post office/building society or banks
  • Benefits agency
  • Employer
  • Accountant or solicitor
  • Life insurance provider
  • Insurance companies
  • Inland Revenue
  • Credit card and loan companies
  • Landlord or local housing department
  • Deceased’s GP
  • Utility companies
  • TV Licencing
REQUEST A CALLBACK - enter your details below.
Please type your full name.

Invalid Input

We are here to help

If you require any more information or advice about what to do we are here to help you.

We offer a variety of funerals and additional services across England and Wales, we can also offer repatriation if a death has occurred abroad. Please contact us today if we can be any assistance to you during this difficult time.